Monday, September 1, 2008

A Natural Pharmacy

The island of Grenada is well known to herbalists. In fact, the traditional practices of herbal medicine are not only still practiced, but, “bush medicine” lore is written about in the tourist guide. One example of such legends is “Never pick herbs after 6:00PM. If you must because of an emergency, slap the bush three times to wake it up”. I find this all very amusing yet the culture is such that Grenadians believe in the mystery, mysticism, and magic of the herbs. And, there’s a medical school here? What?

I haven’t spent a tremendous amount of time researching the natural herbs, however, we have taken some time to inspect some of the local flora and fauna (in addition to the lizard caught by Grayson yesterday). Here are some pictures of just a few.










Yes, the Caribbean has critters! Including our own. Aren’t they adorable?



(not made in America)












Lloyd is still not well. I wish I could do something for him. We brought “our pharmacy” with us, and we’re surrounded by doctors, yet, illness sometimes must run its course. I wonder if that Indian saffron herb I saw growing on the side of the road might …. Or that bush tea……Hmmmm? There is an Alternative Medicine conference going on right now at the University and the Acupuncturist just made a house call.

1 comment:

jennifer said...

The Grenada stories and pictures were our bedtime stories tonight :). Thanks for the entertainment. Looks like a grand adventure. Hope Lloyd recovers quickly!!